Filed under Dealing with People, General, Payroll, a little about life
Today makes 14 months to the day I have posted. I thought I would fill everybody in (who is still subscribed) on my latest situation.
Yep, I am unemployed. Friday, I and five others were informed our services could no longer be afforded. I have joined the couple hundred thousand (million?) of my closest friends on the unemployment line.
Honestly, I saw lay offs coming. I did not think six of the 11 local staff would be leaving so soon though.
After the announcement, I traveled to the company kitchen to take one of the remaining beers and drank it while saying the good-byes. My boss followed this by going to the store and purchasing more beer.
I greatly enjoyed my time at Formos. Matt Tunnell is a terrific leader. I learned a ton about making web applications, software team management, and business development.
So, now what?
I have had a couple days to think about the next step. Here are a couple thoughts:
- Business School – I have always said I wanted an MBA. Is now the time? Probably not – due to costs. Some day though.
- Ownership – One of my career goals is to start/run my own company. Some (at times many) have asked if now is the time. This question actually comes up regularly among some crowds. Each time, I say someday I will. I am not quite sure if I have the experience I want before partaking. I feel I am emotionally though. If the right opportunity came up, I would jump. I have a couple ideas; research will need to be had.
- Career Change-ish – Day to day software development is not for me. I want to move more into an operations, engineering management, product management, or financial position. The ultimate goal is business ownership, so I want a range of perspectives before getting there.
- New Job – This option is probably the most likely. I have a couple of contacts that do work very similar to what I have already been doing. I love the web sector, so any software I do will stay in that area. The search has begun.
- Freelance – Eh, might be fun.
Things not for me include: clergyman, Peace Corp, daily naps, World of Warcraft, or knitting.
For those worried about finances, I should be fine. After two years of saving and semi-searching, I decided not to buy a house about two months ago. I should be good for a couple months worst case.